Thursday, May 05, 2005

The Threat to Anime's Existence...

In short, I'm not doing psychology ever again...I suck at it, plain and simple...

Anyway...the threat, as I was referring to, is none other than the well-meaning religion of Christianity. There is a site called the Christian Anime Alliance that has a list of anime they cannot discuss because they are "controversial" ...Gee...the list includes simple titles such as Neon Genesis Evangelion, Yami no Matsuei, Gravitation, and Angel Sanctuary... But why stop there? Why not censor anime such as One Piece and Lupin the Third for blatant piracy and thievery? Or Chrono Crusade, making direct Catholic references and yet the main character associates with a demon? And the worst oversight...Saiyuki, with direct Buddhist references and a cast of characters that don't believe in God... How these enlightened Christians missed these, I'm not very sure, but they missed them, or they don't know about them.

I myself say, fuck anyone who decides that they hate an anime because of religious differences, never intended to be offensive to anyone in the first place... And to continue my rant...why don't these fundamentalist morons just bleep out all anime that make a reference to God, supernatural powers, alchemy (Full Metal Alchemist is screwed), and especially, any references to demons, Satan, etc? (Goodbye, Inuyasha, Sandland, Yuyu Hakusho, and many others...) Again, I don't know, and the Christians in this site certainly don't... But they can hate...isn't that their right as an American Southern Fundamentalist Christian? I thought so...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home